LOCATION: Library of Rush University Medical Center (600 S. Paulina St., #571, Chicago, IL 60612)
This exhibit provides a glimpse into Rush’s early history and includes historic photos, letters, patient ledgers, and diary entries illustrating the lives and careers of two early Rush Medical College graduates. In 1863, John L. Williams, MD, graduated from Rush Medical College. The following year, he volunteered to serve as a surgeon for the Union Army in Vicksburg, Mississippi, during the Civil War. Upon the completion of his service, he returned to his thriving practice in Cambria, Wisconsin. In 1889, his son, William, graduated from Rush and continued his father’s practice and served as a small town physician for nearly fifty years.
The bulk of this collection was donated to the Rush Archives in 2012, by Robert L. Behling and Jacquelyn Sweeney, the great-great-grandchildren of John L. Williams, MD. This exhibit was curated by Laura R. Johns, public historian/consultant.
LOCATION: The Tower, 1st Floor, Emergency Department (1653 West Congress Parkway, Chicago, Illinois, 60612)
This exhibit presents a brief overview of some of the milestones in Rush's long legacy of education, research, and patient care. It begins with the founding of Rush Medical College in 1837, and takes us through the opening of our institution's newest facility, our state-of-the-art Tower.
LOCATION: The Tower, 4th Floor, Smith Family Lounge (1653 West Congress Parkway, Chicago, Illinois, 60612)
A Legacy of Excellence celebrates the tradition of nursing excellence at Rush. Through photographs, historic objects, and profiles of nursing alumni and leadership, it tells the story of the innovative educational programs, research, and patient care developed by nurses and its predecessors.
This exhibit from the Rush University Medical Center Archives was designed by Bluestone Design Build through the support of the Edith Payne Fund of the Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Nurses Alumni Association.
LOCATION: The Tower, 4th Floor, Woman's Board Family Lounge (1653 West Congress Parkway, Chicago, Illinois, 60612)
This display of Fashion Show posters represents the many years the Woman's Board of Rush University Medical Center has supported Rush's mission of education and quality care. The Annual Rush Woman's Board Fashion Show dates back to 1927, when it was first held by the Woman's Board of St. Luke's Hospital, one of our predecessor institutions. To explore these posters and other Woman's Board and Fashion Show material, including scrapbooks and programs, contact the Rush Archives or visit the following the link: Woman's Board Fashion Show scrapbooks and posters
For more information on the group and its mission, view the organization's official page at http://thewomansboard.org/.
LOCATION: Armour Academic Center, 10th Floor, East Corridor (600 S. Paulina St., Chicago, Illinois, 60612)
Centuries of Excellence is a collection of class photos from Rush University College of Nursing and its predecessor nursing schools, St. Luke's Hospital School of Nursing (est. 1885), Presbyterian Hospital School of Nursing (est. 1903), and Presbyterian-St. Luke's Hospital School of Nursing (merged 1956.) This exhibit, located outside the College of Nursing administrative offices, is a popular stop for members of the Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Nurses Alumni Association. The photos date back to 1887, and are a wonderful tribute to Rush's long, proud legacy of nursing education.
This exhibit of reproductions of nursing class composites was assembled and created by former Rush Archivist, Heidi Butler, and former Dean of the Rush University College of Nursing, Kathleen G. Andreoli, DSN, FAAN, in 2004.
LOCATION: Triangle Office Building, Basement Hallway and 2nd Floor (1700 West Van Buren St., Chicago, Illinois, 60612)
The displays in the basement hallway outside of the Rush Archives and the 2nd floor outside of Au Bon Pain are always changing! Stop by and take a look at fun, historic photographs, interesting articles about the history of Rush, and our latest announcements.
Rush Archives Service Hours:
THE RUSH ARCHIVES IS CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE DUE TO COVID-19 PRECAUTIONS ON THE RUSH CAMPUS.
WE WILL TRY TO ASSIST RESEARCHERS AS BEST WE CAN USING DIGITAL RESOURCES.
PLEASE EXPLORE THIS WEBPAGE AND OUR ONLINE RESOURCES BEFORE CONTACTING THE RUSH ARCHIVES FOR ASSISTANCE.
Thank you for your patience during this unpredictable time.
Contact the Archivist:
Outside of Service Hours: For very urgent requests outside of service hours, please contact the Library of Rush at email@example.com
Note for researchers: Internal reference requests are given precedence. External requests will be addressed as time allows. However, our website will lead you to a number of digital resources from the Rush Archives that may meet your information needs.
Visiting the Rush Archives: In-person visits from researchers from outside of Rush must be approved by the archivist ahead of time.
Location: 1700 W. Van Buren Street, Suite 086, Chicago, IL 60612.
Using our Material in your Publication/Exhibit/Presentation: Contact the Archivist for a Permission to Publish form and fee table.
Citing our Collections: Footnotes or captions should indicate the collection or other identifying information from our finding aids. Please contact the Archivist for more information. Basic format for citation:
[Identification of item], in the [Name of Collection] [Collection Number], Rush University Medical Center Archives, Chicago, Ill.
Looking for Medical Records/Patient Records? Visit Rush University Medical Center's Health Information Management Office.
Looking for Student Records/Transcripts? Visit Rush University's Office of the Registrar.
The Rush University Medical Center Archives, Chicago, Ill., is the official archival agency of Rush University Medical Center and Rush University.
The Rush Archives strives to tell the story of Rush and its esteemed history of education, research, patient care, and community leadership in a meaningful way through our collections.
The Rush Archives holds almost 3000 linear feet of material from Rush and its predecessor schools and hospitals going back to the founding of Rush Medical College in 1837, two days before the city of Chicago was incorporated. The Rush Archives also includes the personal papers of many individuals related to those institutions. Photographs, audiovisual material, paintings, artifacts, nursing school uniforms and caps, and digital assets document the history of Rush, also.
The Rush Archives preserves, identifies, organizes, and provides access to records of long-term historical, evidential, and administrative value to the institution.